Reply To: Integral Clergy of Ancient Egypt Studies course-Assignment-handling the heart and its related behaviors

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Integral Clergy of Kemet Studies Program Integral Clergy of Ancient Egypt Studies course-Assignment-handling the heart and its related behaviors Reply To: Integral Clergy of Ancient Egypt Studies course-Assignment-handling the heart and its related behaviors

AlexanderMoore
Participant

Special Precepts of MAAT on handling the heart and its related behaviors

Part 1
Select three out of the following precepts of MAAT that best (A)-embody and facilitate the wisdom and recognition of one’s own divine essence and (B) that of others so as to be able to approach oneself and others with kindness and non-violence.

25 non-violence
32 Right Worship
37 Right Speech

Part 2

After making your selection state A-why you made the selections you made and (B) – how you think such an interaction would be for a person that is firmly grounded in the three precepts when they communicate and/or interact with themselves and with others.

Since people generally are ignorant of the spiritual realities and caught up in the emotionality of life, they tend to look for something to blame for their miseries. Their goal is to find a cause for the troubles of life and the easiest way to do this is to look around the world and point to those factors around them, which seem to affect them, be they people, situations or objects (Precepts of MAAT, pg. 20). As aspirant advances in the practice (wisdom), he or she recognizes it is their responsibility to act righteously and by doing so purifying their own heart. A special connotation is mentioned in chapter 125 of the Book of Coming Forth By Day. The use of the word nuk meaning (“I”) is highlighted requiring the aspirant to say, “I have” verses saying you have made me do it or the devil made me do it etc.

Each of the principles assist the practitioner with recognizing the divine essence within themselves and as a result of promoting purity, harmony and sanctity allows the practitioners the ability to approach oneself and others with kindness and non-violence. True spiritual strength comes from leaning on the divine within for spiritual support and well-being. Juxtaposed to leaning on external situations, people and objects for support and well-being even though the help itself may come in the form of external situations, people or objects (Precepts of MAAT, pg. 20).

Lastly, the Ancient Egyptians and several other traditions were the first to recognize the power of non-violence to heal anger and hatred within the aggressor as well as the victim. According to Dr. Muata Ashby, when spiritual force is developed it is more formidable than any kind of physical violence. As a result, anyone who wishes to promote peace and harmony in the world must began to purify themselves of all negativity. This is the only way to promote peace and harmony in others. Consequently, if there is anger within the aspirant, the aspirant will promote anger outside of themselves and their efforts for promoting peace and harmony within themselves will be unsuccessful.
A-why you made the selections you made and (B) – how you think such an interaction would be for a person that is firmly grounded in the three precepts when they communicate and/or interact with themselves and with others.

I have elected to choose Precept 25 non-violence because this is an area weakness for me. I want to understand how to move towards spiritual strength in this area. A person who is firmly grounded in this precept when they communicate and/or interact with themselves and with others will be operating from a place of wisdom (peace and harmony). Therefore, the will be careful about how they respond to others who are acting and reacting out of emotion (ignorance) (Precepts of MAAT, pg. 22, 40).

Sage Amenomope

A great gift of God is Maat.
Given, it is, only to those chosen by God
The might of those who resemble God,
The poor are saved from their tormentor through it

Sage Kaqemna

Do not cause terror in men and women; it is opposition to The God.

A-why you made the selections you made and (B) – how you think such an interaction would be for a person that is firmly grounded in the three precepts when they communicate and/or interact with themselves and with others.

I have elected to choose Precept 32 right worship because this is another area that I can use to develop in spiritual strength. An individual that is firmly grounded in this precept when they communicate and/or interact with themselves and with others they will cheat others. They will not raise their voice unnecessarily. He or she will not talk too much. They will display poise and kindness (Precepts of MAAT, pg. 23,78, 80). This person will not say things without reflection.

Sage Ani
Do not raise your voice in the house of God
He abhors shouting; too much talking
Pray by Yourself with a loving heart
Who’s every word is hidden

He will grant your needs
He will hear your words
He will accept your offerings

Sage Amenemope
Another thing that is good in the heart of the God
To pause before speaking

I have elected precept 37 right speech “I have not spoken scornfully or yelled unnecessarily or raise my voice,” because this is a place where I can use much improvement. Moreover, out or all of the choices most of the precepts where geared towards combating Non-Violence. Since we were given only three selections for the assignment, I attempted to select one precept from each of the Maat principles of ethical conduct. Selfless service 29 was not chosen at this time because it is one of my less challenging ethical principles. I think such an interaction for a person who is firmly grounded in this precept when they communicate and/or interact with themselves and with others will be balance in calmness and truth. They world be reflective, calm and mindful of their actions when along and in the presents of others. They will not come off as being impatience, judgmental and/ or argumentative.

Sage Ptahotep

A quarreler is a mindless person
If he is known as an aggressor
The hostile man will have trouble in the neighborhood

Sage Ani

Conquer malice in your self
A quarrelsome man doesn’t rest on the morrow.
Keep away from a hostile man.
Do not let him be your comrade
Befriend one, who is straight and true
One whose actions you have seen
If your rightness matches his
The friendship will be balanced

The information comes from page 23 from 42 precepts of MAAT and their foundation in the philosophy of righteous action of the wisdom text sages of ancient Egypt study guide by Dr. Muata Ashby