Reply To: Integral Studies Program on the Clergy of Ancient Kamit-Special Subjects Discussion Forum for General Posting by Clergy All Students

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Integral Clergy of Kemet Studies Program Integral Studies Program on the Clergy of Ancient Kamit-Special Subjects Discussion Forum for General Posting by Clergy All Students Reply To: Integral Studies Program on the Clergy of Ancient Kamit-Special Subjects Discussion Forum for General Posting by Clergy All Students

AlexanderMoore
Participant

Doll Test

What is the history and the context of the test?

1.) Kenneth Bancroft Clark and Mamie Phipps Clark were African-American psychologist who as a married team conducted research among children and were active in the Civil Rights Movement.
They were known for their 1940s experiments using dolls to study children’s attitudes about race. The Clarks testified as expert witnesses in Briggs v. Elliott (1952), one of five cases combined into Brown v. Board of Education (1954). The Clarks’ work contributed to the ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court in which it determined that de jure racial segregation in public education was unconstitutional. Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote in the Brown v. Board of Education opinion, “To separate them from others of similar age and qualifications solely because of their race generates a feeling of inferiority as to their status in the community that may affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely to ever be undone.

2.) Has this test been applied in the way as was done here and if not what are the differences?
It wasn’t conducted similarly to the original test because the questions were not asked in the exact same way as the original study. Moreover, the participants were American in the original test while the test conducted by the practitioners of the Shetuat Neter used African participants. There appeared to be some difficulty with the youth understanding the questions. Lastly, there was a follow up interaction with the students posted that showed the tester breaking up a Caucasian doll which was not part of the original doll test.

In the experiment Clark showed black children between the ages of six and nine two dolls, one white and one black, and then asked these questions in this order:
• “Show me the doll that you like best or that you’d like to play with,”
• “Show me the doll that is the ‘nice’ doll,”
• “Show me the doll that looks ‘bad’,”
• “Give me the doll that looks like a white child,”
• “Give me the doll that looks like a colored child,”
• “Give me the doll that looks like a Negro child,”
• “Give me the doll that looks like you.”

3.) What cultural / ethnic groups has this kind of test been applied to the past?
African Americans between 6 and 9 years old.

4.) Are there any cautions in conducting such a test and are there ethical standards and/or protocol for preventing harm and promoting results that are statistically significant and useful for positive evolution of a society?

Yes, the 5 major ethical principles are minimizing the risk of harm, obtaining informed consent, protecting anonymity and confidentiality, avoiding deceptive practices, providing the right to withdraw.

Yes, there are standards for promoting results that are statistically significant and useful for positive evolution of a society. There are standards used to guide research because unethical behavior might arise at any point – from data collection to data interpretation. By obscuring data or taking only the data points that reinforce a particular theory, scientists / researchers are indulging in unethical behavior. Next sample size has to be determined in order to ensure that the researcher has enough participants ( N = sample size) to meet the standards of statistical significance. Ethics in statistics are very important during data representation as well. For example, if your p-value is less than or equal to the set significance level, the data is considered statistically significant. As a general rule, the significance level (or alpha) is commonly set to 0.05, meaning that the probability of observing the differences seen in your data by chance is just 5%.

5.) Is it appropriate for a lay person to conduct such a test or should it be conducted by a person with training in the area of child psychology, the nuances of speech inflection, the child’s desire to please, memory and how personal issues, paradigms or cultural predispositions can unintentionally influence test responses and results.
By the standards of ethical research, it is not appropriate for any lay person to conduct research without advance degrees in psychology and training in research methodology. All the aforementioned concerns are factors when conducting research. In counseling, licensed personnel are advised to stay away from duel relationships and on the same token researchers are asked to prepare the questions and if need be they should recuse themselves from any aspect of the questioning and answering period with participants if they believe that they have some sort of bias. They should hire research assistants to facilitate the researcher project.

6.) Is the dismemberment of the doll in front of a child, a proper way and/ effect way to drive home a point and if so what do you think the affect was on the children used in this test? No, I am not sure what point was supposed to be made by doing this but it made me very uncomfortable. I think that the point could have been bought home with giving examples of the absolute truth.
7.) Is there a possibility of such a test causing harm to the subjects or society?
It is a possibility that some could have been traumatized or confused by the dismemberment of the doll. This could have resulted in a wide range of negative reactions from the participants or viewers of the video. There are groups out here calling themselves conscious / woke. They profess that they are following the Kemetic way of life; however, they are not familiar with the most basic practices or principles of the philosophy. Most of them are grossly delusional and dull. Some I think are very dangerous so this doll could fuel their anger and discontent.
8.) Would a test as performed be expected to produce long-term changes in the test subjects of
society?

No and yes. No because if the expectation of dismembering the doll was supposed to boost their self-esteem it could back fire and the participants could become irate towards the other culture. Yes Otherwise it is hard to tell but playing devil’s advocate one person may be inspired to work towards bettering themselves. This could be an anecdotal positive response to the Doll Test as it was performed.

9.) If the test suggests protocols to be adopted by the society (parents, teachers, government leaders, etc.) how would those changes be suggested and implemented and supervised?
If this experiment / Doll Test was based on authentic research standards, the results would be published and considered best practice. Unfortunately, each of the aforementioned entities would use the information to achieve goals that help them achieve their bests interests even if way not good for society. Sometimes researches are discouraged from conducting research about trends or phenomena that goes against their ( educators , governmental leaders , parents etc..) best interests.
10.) Should there be a follow up with the children A.) to track their reactions to the test and B.) to track changes suggested by the experiment? If so, how should that follow up be conducted and by whom?
A longitudinal study (or longitudinal survey, or panel study) is a research design that involves repeated observations of the same variables (e.g., people) over short or long periods of time (i.e., uses longitudinal data). It is often a type of observational study, although they can also be structured as longitudinal randomized experiments.
Longitudinal studies are often used in social-personality and clinical psychology, to study rapid fluctuations in behaviors, thoughts, and emotions from moment to moment or day to day; in developmental psychology, to study developmental trends across the life span; and in sociology, to study life events throughout lifetimes or generations. The reason for this is that, unlike cross-sectional studies, in which different individuals with the same characteristics are compared, longitudinal studies track the same people, and so the differences observed in those people are less likely to be the result of cultural differences across generations. These can be conducted by the researchers and research assistants.

11.) Considering your researches and reflections, what do you think of the set-up of the experiment from a scientific point of view? The set up should have been done in private. There should have been a translator who was certified in specking both languages so that it was clear that the participants understood the questions to the fullest of their understanding. If they did not understand regardless of the translators then they should have been excused.

12.) CLERGY OF SHETUAT NETER STUDIES RELEVANCE: Considering your researches and reflections, what do you think the Hemu of Kemet would think of this experiment? I don’t believe that such a test would be considered based on the abiding truth given in the mystical philosophy of the shetuat neter. They would have known that such thoughts existed and the only way to eradicate the wrong thinking is by accepting the absolute truth that you are one with the divine, everything exist in you, which is developed / discovered in degrees by the aspirant as they grow spiritually.

13.) CLERGY OF SHETUAT NETER STUDIES RELEVANCE: Considering your researches on this issue and your current knowledge about Neterian Ethics, how would you approach the question of doing such a test?
I would approach the spiritual preceptor with my thoughts and the rationale for such thoughts and seek his or her approval especially if I was representing the temple as a Hemu. Based on the response I would move forward after preparing adequately based of best practice of conducting research. If there was disapproval I would not move forward.