Reply To: Level 1 Book Reading Assignment Discussions Forum #2

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Egyptian Mysteries Level 1 Level 1 Book Reading Assignment Discussions Forum #2 Reply To: Level 1 Book Reading Assignment Discussions Forum #2

EdwardStephenson
Participant

Lesson 10 Interactive Assignment (responding to another’s post on the same assignment and response received)
Responding to post 7705 (Demas Alexis)and Response by Sabai Maa (7714)
Point 1) (Demas Alexis)

“However, it needs to be said that due to unbalance in the aspects of the personality, meditation in order to bring about all the benefits aforementioned, needs to be practiced along with other yoga disciplines so that the individual can purify the Arius in an integral fashion otherwise, there will be tips in the balance of Maat which will lead to reincarnation and negatively affect enlightenment in current life cycle.”

Sabai Maa’s Response
This statement is primary to everything else in the post…highlighting the importance of an integral practice and purification. While philosophy is important, one has to have purity.

My comments
The points highlighted above, namely that yoga should be practiced in an integral fashion and that while knowing the philosophy, self-purification is also an important priority, are concerns that I personally think are most significant and which has much relevance for my own journey. I say this based on experiences I have had which made me realize that the importance of purifying oneself through righteous action (Maat) as well as through meditation. I personally tend to gravitate towards the study of the philosophy but I am mindful of the fact that as Sebai Maa said, “while the philosophy is important one must have purity. “ Even with this intellectual realization I am aware that also important is the WILL to engage in the practice, particularly those dimensions that I find to be most challenging.
——————————————————————————————————————-
Point2 (Demas Alexis)
“Being associated with mind means not being in control of our experiences in time and space as they are only guided by our negative Arius generated during past incarnations and current life”

Sabai Maa’s Response
Psychological studies show that 95% of the time people operate in an automatic mode of consciousness meaning that they are operating based on emerging thoughts and feelings from their unconscious without conscious input or awareness. Five percent of the time they are thinking consciously but even then this is based on delusion because not being enlightened they are consciously thinking that they are making a decision but it is based on a foundation of egoism that is the storehouse of the unconscious mind….So virtually all thoughts and actions of most human beings are based on autonomic psychological functions. So, only enlightened beings have conscious awareness of their true nature even while experiencing sensory inputs and even in time and space and so they can truly say that they have Maakheru—true of speech or truth of their awareness and actions

My comments
The notion that most of our actions are unconsciously determined is a most interesting one as it highlights the issue of free will, self-determination and self-responsibility, issues about which one finds differing opinions within the science of psychology. Working within the psychoanalytic tradition, Sigmund Freud believes that much of our thoughts, feelings and actions are unconsciously determined and that psychological growth involves becoming aware of the unconscious dimensions of ourselves. Psychological dis-ease he suggests, are due to unconscious conflicts and so psychological health requires that we become aware of these conflicts that resides within the depth of our being. I would think that this is consistent with a Neterian perspective but that “intellectual insight” as emphasized by Freud, is not sufficient for healing to occur. Such insight should also be accompanied by an intuitive realization the source of which is embedded in the emotional and spiritual dimensions of self. Also important in the process of healing, is that not only one gains insight into the nature of the Aryu that exists beyond our awareness and how it influences us, but more important, this insight should be accompanied by the purification and thus elimination of this Aryu. It is this purification component and the mechanisms by which it is accomplished that is missing in the psychoanalytic tradition and which makes it a questionable therapeutic tool.

Within the humanistic-existentialist tradition it is assumed that we are conscious beings who can determine and shape our own destiny and therefore, in their view, we are ultimately responsible for the outcomes of our lives. Even though disagreeing in regard to our level of consciousness, the Neterian and humanistic-existential traditions however seem to converge in terms of their view of self-determination and responsibility. Even though we operate in an unconscious manner, the Neterial view would suggest, I think, that we have the potential to exert control over our destiny by purifying the Aryu responsible for influencing what we think and do. Once purified, we then have the ability to experience higher levels of awareness even beyond the delusions created by the ego that we experience in normal consciousness. And so, from a Neterian perspective, becoming conscious is not only becoming aware of that which is unconscious but, more important, becoming aware of the transpersonal dimensions, what Carl Jung refers to as the collective unconscious. It is at this point that we can say we have Maakheru—true of speech. Also, it is only then that we can say that we are truly healed since in achieving such a consciousness we will have transcended the influence of the ego, that which is responsible for our suffering and insanity. And so, unlike the psychoanalytic tradition which believes that health comes from strengthening the ego to make us better adjusted to the external reality, the Neterian view instead posits that health comes from purifying the ego so that we are more aligned with and accepted by that which lies within. Within the Neterian paradigm, even though we may not be conscious we are still responsible for the outcomes of our lives since we are ultimately the creators of ourselves and our experiences. The Aryu that compels us to act in the world, are forces that we ourselves have created and which we have the power to change. Self-responsibility is therefore and integral component of the Neterian worldview.

Finally, the Neterian tradition differs from all other schools f western psychology in a way that questions the epistemological basis upon which the self is constructed. Within the western tradition, the self (mind/body) is conceived to be an individuated, empirical, material entity governed by particular biological and sensory processes. On the other hand, in the Neterian view, the self that is posited by western psychology, is in fact a creation of our own minds and is thus an illusory construct; Accordingly, the “real “ self—that which is enduring and eternal according to Neterian philosophy, exist beyond the boundaries of this spacio-temporal reality and is only realized upon achieving enlightenment.

Western’s psychology’s exclusion of a spiritual dimension in its conceptualization of the self, limits our understanding of who we are and the purpose of our existence. The knowledge embodied in such an orientation is aligned with and serves to perpetuate social and cultural systems characterized by gross inequalities, social injustice and moral and ethical degradation. Such a psychological paradigm removes us from what is real and true and keeps us bondage to our own delusions and false perceptions of ourselves and the world.

Within this context, the Neterian perspective not only adds to the psychologies that already exist but in fact provides the foundation for our salvation in terms of showing us our true purpose and how this purpose can be realized through the practice of the Neterian sciences and the application of the wisdom that it embodies.