Reply To: Initiation Temple of Asar Lesson 2 Discussion Forum

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Initiation Temple of Asar 360 Initiation Temple of Asar Lesson 2 Discussion Forum Reply To: Initiation Temple of Asar Lesson 2 Discussion Forum

DISCUSSION ASSIGNMENT – TEMPLE OF ASAR, LESSON 2

The East Facade column is a beautiful rendering of the Royal person facing the Goddess. According to the Shen (cartouche) it is the Peraa Seti Uaa Neb Maat Ra. The hieroglyphs above the Goddess reveal that she is Nebet Hetheru. The Royal person gently places his left hand on the left shoulder of the Goddess, as the Goddess Hetheru places her right hand on the right shoulder of the Royal person in a loving gesture of giving and receiving. In his right hand the Royal person holds the Ankh, while in her left hand the Goddess Hetheru holds the Ankh.

While the image is artistically symmetrical my suspicions are that this is not about mere symmetry for art’s sake, but is symbolic of Divine Maatian order and balance, as well as an exchange of energy with the Divine. Likewise the hieroglyphs are equally balanced in their arrangement with an almost mirror-like quality.

The SW and NW corner facades of the Temple entrance are “hologram” depictions, meaning that they are mirror images that flank either side of the entrance to the Temple. My understanding of this is that the initiate completes the images as they enter into the inner Temple. This particular iconography is the battle scene of the Royal personality clutching the hair of his enemies—a symbol of controlling said enemies. With his arm upraised he is ready to strike a blow as the God Amun stands before him.

The word that keeps coming up, by Sebai Maa, in this lesson is “clarity.” Clearly this scene is not an actual battle, but symbolically represents subjugation of the enemies of the soul (Asar). In the video segment for this section Sebai asks the poignant question “Do you have your enemies under control before entering the Temple?”

When I began this lesson the sense I received in open court #1 was that of emptiness. After spending more time in the space, towards the end of the lesson, I see that there are many things hidden in plain view, and I have a greater understanding of that “clarity” Sebai spoke of. I can imagine what it would have been like to experience the Temple of Asar in Ancient Kemet. Upon entering Open Court #2 one would be greeted with the sights, sounds, and scents of the marketplace with a procession to the Temple. There one could partake in the cool waters of the well in a purification ritual.

Next, the walk up the 42 stairs to the mountainous Pylon walls where you are symbolically greeted by the Goddesses Aset and Nebethet—representing the duality of higher consciousness and worldly consciousness—and the God Asar who symbolizes the unification of duality. The door is open and once the threshold is crossed one enters…leaving the world behind. As the sounds begin to fade in the background, one can feel the intense heat from the sun and the purification by fire begins. This is not the kind of fire that consumes, but the fiery rays of Ra that nourish the spirit and purifies the ego.

The Temple is in view with its numerous columns, bursting with vibrant color in contrast to the stark whiteness of the open court. As the one draws nearer they can see the darkness of the inner Temple, just beyond the columns, and there is anticipation about what lies within. I am left with that anticipation as I move forward to the next lesson of the Temple of Asar.

Htp,
Shems Heryt