Reply To: Kemet 101-Lesson 6 Discussion Forum

SherriAdkins
Participant

SHERRI ADKINS
Lesson 6: Fundamental Principles of African Religion.

The most important myth in ancient Egyptian (Kemet) Religion is the myth of Asar. Just as Asar was resurrected, “the rituals are rituals of resurrection.” What truly impressed me about this lesson is the ritual of offering at the altar.

From what I have learned in this lesson, I relate the morning, noon, and evening daily devotion as a revival back to the true essence of who I am. The lighting of the incense is an offering of myself to the Divine. My righteousness, virtue, and my truth; all that I do during the day (my informal practice), is being offered to the Divine through the burning of the incense. The fragrance of the incense symbolizing my personality, the burning up of my personality. As the incense rises up to the divine, this burning up of my personality, is my offering to the Divine.

I look forward to morning, noon, and evening daily devotion even more so now, because, I have an even better understanding of the ritual. I understand and appreciate how my participation in formal rituals daily will enhance my informal practice; my day to day living. As I go through the day, I will recall the lighting of the candle as symbolic to lighting the spirit within myself, my true essence. The continuous pouring of libation from one vessels to another symbolizes my continuance directing of my thought in the direction of the divine as opposed to towards the world. As I chant the words of power throughout the day, my mind and personality and creation will be transformed.

I was raised in Christianity and now understand there was a vital aspect of Christianity missing. Unfortunately, because most people practice orthodox Christianity – the practice of myth and ritual with the exclusion of mysticism, they may never have a mystical experience, they may never understand what Jesus meant when he said: “Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.” Colossians 3:9-10.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by SherriAdkins.