Reply To: Kemet 101-Lesson 10 Discussion Forum

Alixa Villalobos
Participant

Lesson # 10
Video 1
Intro to Shetaut Neter by Dja.

A) Themes discussed:
– Kemet is not restricted to a geographical location, as long as you are living the teachings you are in Kemet, re-living the legacy of our ancestors.

– A sacred space is needed in order to focus on spirituality and forget about the daily mundane things of the world that make Humans forget about their true nature.

– Proverb: Men and Women are Gods and Goddesses. It is up to us to discover are true nature.

– Menu that will be served during the Conference is Setjert, which means Blood+Beer+Mandrake= Potion that relates to the Light Glorious Meditation.

– Myth of Goddess Hetheru: coming into the world and forgetting about her true nature. When her brother Geb, came to earth to get her and remind her of her divine nature, she tried to eat him, tried to kill him. Djehuti was sent to earth to remind Hetheru of her divinity and for that he gave her a potion: Blood+Beer+Mandrake and Djehuti restored Hetheru back to her own divine self and brought her back to the Divine realm.

– Why is the potion so powerful?
Blood = Intoxication with worldly desire/egoism/body-flesh/ consuming bodies.
Beer = intoxication with worldly pleasures/ engaging in pleasurable activities in time and space/ symbolizes ignorance.
Mandrake = intoxication with the bau (souls) of Ra. (with fullness-infinity-peace truth that comes with self knowledge). Souls of Ra are infused into the magic potion wich makes it full of light, so Hetheru became enlightened.

– The desired process for an initiate is for the magic potion to lead the initiate into a process of enlightenment by expanding the souls of Ra from within the heart and exploding and destroying the ego.

-The temple of Hetheru was created to have a place where the initiate could dissociate from the worldly desires and activities and relieve his/her pressures and be able to associate with the divine.

-“If your only reality is an illusion, then your illusion becomes your reality”. Quote from a movie unknown to me.

– Images of Goddess Aset breastfeeding Heru. Meaning that Aset is passing on her wisdom and her teachings to Heru. Two types of wisdom, spiritual and intellectual, as long as Aset is giving Heru the experience of the teachings.

-Such a place (temple) and its teachings are needed, so the mind can become aware of higher possibilities and turn away from Umt-ab (mental dullness), due to Khemn (ignorance) and be led to Nehast (resurrection, spiritual awakening), Ahku, enlightenment. The initiate is the eye of Ra, that needs to be healed and brought back to enlightenment.

– Who/What is SEMA: it has two different divisions that work intertwined.
1.) Sema Institute: Has Sema University
AA and BA degree programs
Bookstore
Audio-tapes
Videos-DVD
Membership programs

2.) Temple of Shetaut Neter:
Aset Priesthood
Spiritual counseling
Initiations
Spiritual Worship programs

– Who are we?: not a cult, not a church, not a new age, not masons, etc. we are Kemetic African Religion.
– Shetaut Neter was originally practiced in Ancient Egypt. And is the earliest written document explaining the term African religion.
– Egyptian Mysteries:
Lower mysteries: about intellectual knowledge
Higher mysteries: about intuitional knowledge.
– Sheta or Shetau means hidden, difficult to understand-mystery and Neter means Divinity. It is in the writings of Kemet.
– Sheta Kheperu means hidden creator of Gods
– Shetitu means writing related to the hidden teachings.
– Shet-ta means land covered by the Nile flood.
– Sheta, the secret hidden divinity
– Shetaut Aset, Divinity in the hidden adobe- throne.
– Shetai, hidden, secret being. God the divine essential nature

– African Religion has three stages of religion:
1.- Myth Mantu: legend, story, myth. Sdejed, storytelling. Shemsu, follower of the religion.
2.- Ritual Anu: ritual, ceremony
3.- Mysticism: is about Shetaut Neter

– Differences between Kemetians and Nubians in ancient depictions: by the headdress, not by skin color.

– Ancient African religion, Shetaut Nter was practiced before all other documented religions on earth.

– The Sphinx is proof of the existence of Shetaut Neter and it’s been scientifically proven that they were built around 7,000 to 10,000 BC.

-Time line of major world religions. Shetaut Neter has influenced all major world religions, Dogan, Yoruba, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam.

– Shetaut Neter is a universal teaching, it is open to all, because everyone has the essence of the divine.

– Keep the practice of Shetaut Neter hidden, sacred and personal, to oneself.

– Difference between African religion and western religions is the lack of mystical aspects of the religion. There’s not the experience of becoming One with divinity.

– Followers of Shetaut Neter are called Neterians. Shemsu Neter means a follower of Neter

– Founder of Neterianism: Lord Khepri. Brought up creation from himself, from the primeval waters and sustains it by sailing his boat. In essence, we all have a divine lineage

– Lord Khepri gave the teachings to Lord Djehuti, then to Hetheru, she passed it to Aset, Asar, Heru their son and priest and priestesses and to us. The teachings were passed to normal human beings who are part of the lineage, the divine lineage. Other religions regard only blood lineage, but the divine lineage is more important in Shetaut Neter religion.

– Company of Gods and Goddesses: Interrelationships between all gods and goddesses and the three main theologies, traditions: Anunian, Ptah and Amun. All gods and goddesses are equally important, there’s no differentiation by sex in terms of relevance or in terms of importance.

– Sacred scripture of Shetaut Neter: there are scriptures that are mythical, others are rituals and others are mystical and there are the Wisdom texts. pyramid texts, coffin texts, papyrus texts.
The most important of the Mythic scriptures is the myth of Asar, Aset and Heru. In the Wisdom Texts we have the Maat declarations Literature. There is abundant material in regard to Kemetic religion, and we assume that not everything has been discovered yet.

– The need to read the book by Sebai Maa, Asarian Theology, as a foundation to our spiritual practice. And as a basic formal practice, to understand the Theology.

– This theology was so important that each one of the Three divinities had its own temple to spread their teachings and divine practices. Aset’s Temple in Philae, Asar’s Temple in Abdu, Temple of Heru located in Edfu.

– Four Neterian Principles of Shetaut Neter:
1.) “The Neter, the Supreme being is One and alone and as Neberdjer, manifesting everywhere and in all things in the form of Gods and Goddesses”: There’s One Supreme God.
2.) “Lack of righteousness brings fetters to the personality and these fetters cause ignorance of the Divine”
3.) “Devotion to the Divine leads to freedom from the fetters of Set”
4.) “The practice of the Shedy Disciplines leads to knowing oneself and the Divine. This is called being True of Speech”

– Neterian’s Beliefs: Neterian Plea:
As a Netrian, I follow the Ancient African-Kamitian religious path of Shetaut Neter which teaches about the mysteries of the Supreme Being, Neberdejer, the all-encompassing divinity. I believe that from Neberdjer proceeds all Netru (gods and goddesses) and all the worlds, and the entire Universe. Since Neberdejer manifests as the Netru, Neberdjer can be worshipped as a god or goddesses. I believe that there is only One Supreme Being, Neberdjer and that the gods and goddesses are expressions of the one supreme being, Neberdjer. As a Netrian, I strive to come into harmony with the gods and goddesses, the Neteru, by developing within my personality the different virtuous and divine qualities they symbolize, this will lead me closer to Neberdjer. As a Neteian, I also believe that the Supreme Being I call Neberdjer, is the same Supreme Being that is worshipped by other religions under different names.

I believe that Neberdjer establishes all creation on Maat, righteousness, truth and order and that my actions, termed Ari, determine the quality of life I lead and experience. If I act with Maat (positive Ari), my path will be free of suffering and pain. When I forget Maat and act in unrighteousness (negative Ari), I invite suffering and pain into my life.
As a Netrian I believe when my body dies, my heart’s actions will be examined against Maat. If it is found that I upheld Maat during my life, I will have positive Ari and any Ahku (spirit) will become One with Neberdjer for all eternity. This is called Nehast, the spiritual awakening-enlightenment. If it is found that I acted with selfishness and greed, I will have a negative Ari and my Ba (soul) will suffer the act of death and be reincarnated again (we believe in reincarnation) to be in the world of time and space. This is called Uhemankh (reincarnation).

As a Neterian, I believe in the teachings of Shemsu, following the path of Shetaut Neter by practicing the disciplines of Shedy which include Study of Wisdom teachings (Rech-Ab) Devotion to God (Uashu), acting with righteousness (Maat) and Meditation (Ua). Neberdjer provided the Sheti tu, the spiritual teaching that was written in Medu Neter (hieroglyphic scripture) so that the Shemsu (followers) might study the wisdom teachings of Shetaut Neter. Two most important Neterian Scriptures are the PertMHru and the Hessu Amun and the most important Neterian Myth is the Asarian Resurrection.

By practicing the disciplines of Shedy I will discover the Shetaut (Mysteries)… (Sorry, I could not understand the rest of the last paragraph of the Neterian Beliefs)

– The pursuit of Happiness and how/why we will never be able to attain it by focusing on the materialistic world, because material goals are not fulfilling and nothing in that world is permanent…things always change. The teachings explain that “Searching for one’s self in the world is the pursuit of an illusion”. -Ancient Egyptian Proverb. “Grief is natural to the mortal world and is always about you; pleasure is a guest, and visiteth by thy invitation; use well thy mind, and sorrow shall be passed behind you; be prudent, and the visits of joy shall remain long with you” -Ancient Egyptian Proverb.

– The purpose of life and how to attain that Goal: The purpose of life is to become One with God.
“The purpose of all human life is to achieve a state of consciousness apart from bodily concerns”.
“Men and women are to become God-like through a life of virtue and cultivation of the spirit through knowledge, practice, and bodily discipline”.
“Salvation is freeing of the soul from the bodily fetters. Becoming a god through knowledge and wisdom, controlling the forces of the cosmos instead of being a slave to them. Subduing the lower nature and through awakening the higher Self, ending the cycle of rebirth and dwelling with the Neters who direct and control the great plan”.

– These teachings lead us to attain Nehast, spiritual enlightenment.

– Anthropomorphic and Zoomorphic Iconography: The Neteru may be depicted anthropomorphically, zoomorphically or composite, in accordance with the teaching about Netr that is being conveyed through them.

– Importance of integral Yoga: The four Shedy disciplines are, Devotion, Meditation, Selfless Service of Maat and Wisdom.

– The inner personality has four different aspects which are: Emotion, Reason, Action, Willpower: Each of the disciplines has been made to deal, to purify and to spiritualize and to infuse with the Ba (soul) of Ra all of the personality. So, all the aspects of the personality become enlightened in an integral manner. Emotions are enlightened through the practice of Devotion, Wisdom and Intellect are enlightened through the practice of the Wisdom Teachings, Actions are enlightened through the practice of Selfless Service and Maat, the Willpower is enlightened through the practice of Meditation.

– Yoga encompasses within itself the four integral aspects, exercise system, meditation system, wisdom teachings, devotional feelings and righteous action, as the person engages in the Shedy disciplines.

Video #2
Intro to Shetaut Netr by Dja.

– Another part of the practice of Shetaut Neter is the daily worship: Morning worship, Noon worship and Evening worship. Meditation about the aspects of Ra.

– Picture of the Temple of Aset where we have the Wisdom teachings.

– Introduction to Meditation: Uaam Neter Shedy- Meditation: Experience the transcendental Supreme Self.

– Systems of Meditation: by Sage Amunhotep:
Arat Sekhem Uaa, Meditation of the subtle Life Force.
Ari Sma Maat Uaa, Meditation of the Righteous Action
Nuk Pu Ushet Uaa, Meditation of the I am
Nuk Ra Akhu Uaa Meditation of the Glorious Light
Rekh Amun Uaa, Meditation of the Wisdom Teachings
Rhet Ankh Uaa, Meditation of the Tree of Life.

– One can choose to practice any of the forms of meditation that best resonate with the Shemsu, in order to develop the aspects of the personality

– Glorious Light Meditation of Ancient Egypt

– Spiritual aspects of the Yoga poses of Gods and Goddesses
Phases of Yoga Poses:
The Beginning: Before Creation:
1.) Karast (Mummy) Pose
Phase 1: Creation
2.) Nefertum Lotus Pose
3.) Nun pose
4.) Shu Pose
5.) Warm Up
6.) Journey of Ra Pose Series

Phase 2: The Earth
7-8.) Shoulder-stand pose-Plough Pose
9.) Wheel Pose
11.) Forward Bend Pose
12.) Spinal Twist Pose

Phase 3: Transition Poses
13.) Selket-Scorpion Pose
14.) Sebek-Crocodile Pose
15.) Arat- Cobra Pose
16.) Horemacket – Sphinx Pose
17.) Heru – Horus Pose and variations
18.) Henu Pose Series

Phase 4: The Higher Self
19.) Nut Pose
20.) Maat Pose
21.) Aset Winged Pose
22.) Aset Sitting Pose
23.) Aset Embrace Pose

Phase 5: Establishment Poses
24.) Djed Pose
25.) Headstand Pose
26.) Khepri-Scarab Pose
27.) Shti (Mummy) Pose

– Summary of the Sema (Yogic) Disciplines Practiced by the Priests and Priestesses of Kemet

Yoga of Rekh: From the Temple of Aset: Listening, Reflecting and Meditating on the teachings.

Yoga of Maat (Action and Selfless Service): General Discipline practiced in all Temples.
1.) Learn Ethics (42 precepts of Maat)
2.) Practice cultivation of the Higher virtues.
3.) Devotion to the Divine.
4.) Meditation.

Yoga of Uasht-Merri (Devotion to the Divine): General Disciplines in all Temples.
1.) Listening to the Myths.
2.) Cultivation of Love for the Divine
3.) Ritual
4.) Hekau (words of Power) Chanting
5.) Praises, Hymns, Songs to the Divine.

Yoga of Uaa (Discipline of Meditation) GLMS – given in the Tom of Sage Seti I (1350 BCE)
1.) Postures and Focus of Attention
2.) Words of Power – chant
3.) Visualization

– In order to succeed in the Shedy practices or Ancient Egyptian Tradition (Glorious Light) religion practices, the legacy of the ancestors must be lived, not just studied and revered.
– Keys to success in one’s spiritual practice: Patience, perseverance and continued self-effort.
– Shemsu Udja Shedy: real, powerful, burning, following and practice of the discipline of the spiritual teachings.
– How do you gauge your success at practicing the teachings? By experiencing a decrease of anger, egoism, selfishness (negative emotions). Becoming aware of our vulnerabilities is also a way to gauge spiritual progress.
– If Shemsu Udja is not present, the higher purpose of Shems will not be realized.
– Nehast: The final objective.
Devotion to the Divine should increase and there should be increasing turning away from worldly egoistic ideas and desires.
The final objective of the Mysteries is to be able to say: Nuk pu Nuk Asar Neter (I am that I am) – Asar the Divinity.
– In order to progress in the Shedy, one needs to interact with a Sebai, a teacher, to nourish you, to heal you, to restore you to your truth.
– Ancient Egyptian Legacy was indeed Glorious.

B) The most important theme discussed: To me, it is the fact that ancient Egyptians used potions (Blood+Beer+Mandrake) in order to be able to awaken the Divine within and in order to embody the Divine Self through the spirits of Ra. I understand that in modern times, we can not, or should not do the same potions (nor I intend to) but just realizing that symbolically consuming the aspects of the divine that we want to embody, actually helps to bring that embodiment forth. And practicing that as a ritual to embody the Divine really resonates with me.