Reply To: Level 1 Video Assignment Discussions Forum #2

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Egyptian Mysteries Level 1 Level 1 Video Assignment Discussions Forum #2 Reply To: Level 1 Video Assignment Discussions Forum #2

Shems Ahit Nebthet
Participant

Lesson 15
Video Assignment
Introduction to SN Part 3 and 4
List important themes, and what impressed me about the presentation.
• Maat Philosophy
This video lecture was a continuation from Lesson 14. In this video SM continues to discuss some very important points regarding teachings within SN. The points that impressed/resonated with me are below. There were several connections made to teachings heard before in other lectures so I appreciate the fact that the teachings remain the same from then until now with no changes or deviation.
SM provided insight on a papyrus that was related to Maat Philosophy as the last video ended on Great Truth 2 which deals with unrighteous actions. Within this papyrus you have Asar Seker – who represents the king of the netherworld – this is where everyone goes after death. After death a judgment takes place and the papyrus displayed this teaching. Maat and one’s Ab are weighed against each other and the outcome can be one of three: Even with Maat, heavier – which means one lived an unrighteous life and will suffer in netherworld, or lighter than Maat – one will be able to go and sit on the throne, take the form of Asar Seker become one with him, if even, one is considered to have lived good/sufficiently righteous life and the soul becomes a servant of Asar in the Netherworld. (Please elaborate on this detail – being a servant of Asar in the Netherworld).
The prayer in our morning worship ritual contains the basic injunctions of Maat –these virtues are basic duties of humans, there is no peace unless this is done. Everyone has a right to these things due to all being divine.
• Papyrus of Ani
In this papyrus, Heru is the one who leads the initiate to meet Asar, at this point, the initiate was judged and deemed to be righteous, hence able to go to the shrine, where he received an anointing by the three in the shrine, priest (Asar) and two priestesses (Aset and Nebthet), which represent a Divine Trinity. He is becoming an Akhu, enlightened being- this is the result of practicing/living according to Maat philosophy.
Follow the path of Maat and:
• discover peace and prosperity
• Learn that one has Divine purpose by studying the wisdom of the Neteru
• If you become pure in heart – righteous – you will discover God and immortality
• You will succeed in life and you will learn about M. Philosophy from preceptor and practice daily.
• It is important to practice daily because when you commit an action, impressions from it are stored in the unconscious mind, and can contribute to being compelled or impelled to engage in unrighteous actions and even after death this remains and influences the direction of reincarnation.

• Great truth 3 – Uashu important concept – devotion is another path that leads one out of ignorance; devotion to the teachings and the divine. Personal and community practice are the types of devotional practices.

• Great truth 4 – shedy – study/penetrate/uncover the mysteries. Wisdom Goddess being Aset – she gives spiritual nectar that feeds the mind. When I reflected on this point it made me think about a characteristic of intuitional wisdom as it is compared here to nectar – something sweet that you may want to go back to for more. This is what I experience when I tap into my wisdom nature when going through things in life, I tend to find myself tapping into my wisdom to feel what is right in my heart and get answers on what to do, I also ask myself what is this situation trying to teach me/what am I to learn from this situation and if I still have difficulty with it, I seek wisdom from a preceptor to help me stay on the path of growth and proper navigation through life experiences. Due to the impact of this process, it is something I always revert to.

Three steps to follow when practicing the disciplines: Listen (Sedjm Shedy – to the teaching within the various traditions), Practice (Aru- engage in rituals, things need to be done to help foster/develop devotion to the Divine), Meditation Uaah – becoming one with the Divine.

• Observances daily of Shemsu – must do these things to truly be considered a follower of the teachings
• 3x daily practice
• Bath
• Alter ritual
• Four great truth
• Recite the daily hekau
• Study a scripture
• Brief meditation and an offering must be made
3x comes from Anunian Theology – Ra -Khepre – Tem Threefold worship, morning noon and dusk
Divinity is picked based on what is most interested to one.
Monthly and annual practices are to be done as well.
These practices are very important because they help with purifying the mind, setting the stage for the day, refocusing the mind in the middle of the day, and closing the day out with attention and focus on the Divine. This helps one to develop the capacity to consistently be aware of the Divine over time.
• Then the lecture went into a Q&A period and these were some strong points that impressed me in the discussion:
Question related to conceptualizing relationship with God
God can’t be understood, but seen; have to develop an awareness of the oneness with/of God. Develop a knowing of God. When the awareness of the oneness of God is attained, one sees things and self as only manifestation/extensions of God not something separate – this is considered dual consciousness.
One must have a higher subtle consciousness to fathom God, to truly understand something, you have to become one with it. It is important to develop a knowing that one is complete, already have fullness – illusion/not knowing this causes problems in one’s life because the ego personality is what one considers themselves to be, hence never feeling or experiencing fulfillment in life.
• How to view worship practice in SN – not worshiping people or stone but worshiping the cosmic reality, Higher principle not objects
The symbols, images, etc serve as support until one can reach an abstract level of worship. But do not try to speed through it. Symbols are recognized as forms of support at the beginning level. Can not skip from A to C because of the purifying process that takes place in step B is crucial for getting to C. Symbols are needed to help understand abstract concept. “Uashu best” to “Uashu Nebedjer” is a very gradual process. Symbols of cosmic principles of creation. The Neteru existed in a philosophical form, the teachings are metaphorical to help us understand our own consciousness and make up. They represent aspects of personality needing to be discovered and mastered.
Nothing has been created – it’s a manifestation of the essence/supreme being.
• Meditation system – Arat Sekhem was then led into by a most nefer chanting to Hetheru – Great Goddess of Life Force Energy, daughter of Ra, the Creator Spirit. She represents the life force energy that the Creator Spirit needs to bring forth creation so without her forms within creation will not exist (my reflection on the Goddess).
Dua Hetheru Netritaah