Reply To: Kemet 101-Lesson 9 Discussion Forum

Tonya Octave
Participant

Neterian Ancient Egyptian philosophy and Wisdom
What are the main teachings noted during the lecture? Shetaut Neter is the earliest known advanced practiced African religion. A Neterian follows Shetaut Neter in myth, ritual, and mysticism. In the organization there are two branches. One is the Sema Institute by which one can obtain an associate degree. This is the education branch. The second is the temple, which includes the priesthood, spiritual counseling, initiations, and a spiritual worship program. At the beginning Khepra created the universe which is inclusive of the Gods and Goddesses referred to as the Neteru (cosmic forces). Khepera shared the Shetaut Neter with Djehuti, Asar, and Aset. Djehuti wrote down the Shetaut Neter. Asar created the worship aspects. Asar developed the religion. It was Aset who taught Shetaut Neter through wisdom teachings and the hidden aspects of the mysteries. A Shemsu is a follower of Shetaut Neter and one is acts, behaves, thinks as divine.
Basic observances of the Shemsu: Daily worship 3times/day (dawn, noon, dusk); The formalized practices: bath, candle, incense, recite 4 great truths, Hekau, study of scripture, and meditation.
There are two Goddesses of MAAT. She is a subtle force that is intertwine in all traditions. MAAT does not have a separate temple.
Khepra creator of the day, morning; Birth
Ra creator of the Midday, Adulthood
Tem is the closer of the day, evening: old age
The four basic disciplines to help integrate ones’ personality:
(1) Temple of Aset; wisdom and realization of truth. (Listening, reflecting, and meditation on the teaching)
(2) In all Temples especially Temple of Heru and Edfu. (MAAT learn to act, live, and think with ethical culture, the practice of higher virtues, devotion to the divine, and meditation)
(3) In all Temples in Prt M Hru and Temple inscriptions.
(4) Meditation, the Glorious Light Meditation System (postures and focus attention, chant, visualization)
One needs more than just thinking about or philosophical aspects of the teachings. There must be the inclusion and integration with Wisdom and devotion. Additional, things that are needed: The diet will support the purity of the body. How to become pure in the mind through food and fasting. Culture and movements of the body are suggested as one’s personality transitions with this integrative religious system.
How do I plan to implement teachings not practiced? As I listen, reflect, practice all that I am experiencing with understanding differently and understanding more I am drawn more to some of the practices. As I become aware of these observations in myself, I work more consciously on the one’s that I avoid. I want to have a balanced and integrative practice of Shetaut Neter.
Questions?
I have heard little parts of how to practice the daily worships. The video discussed the formalized practices. Can you expand on the informal ways to practice 3times/day? HPT