Reply To: Local Programs Posts and Researches by Asar Anpu

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Integral Clergy of Kemet Studies Program Local Programs Posts and Researches by Asar Anpu Reply To: Local Programs Posts and Researches by Asar Anpu

Keymaster

BEING POSTED ON BEHALF OF UNUT ANPU

Udja,

Below is the message and my response to it from the student who asked me to begin sharing with him teachings about our spiritual practice.

He is the reason why the recent study group I lead was started. As you are probably aware we’re studying the book Egyptian Yoga Philosophy of Enlightenment.

I’d like your thoughts about both his reasons for leaving the group and my response to it. We just completed Chapter 6.

Dua M Htp

Unut Anpu

Anpu,

Unfortunately I am choosing to discontinue participating in our Sunday classes. Though I have benefited from it, I find it increasing difficult to not feel as though I am at risk of accepting understandings which I am not sure I subscribe completely. And though I do understand that you are completely fine w/ either of us accepting only those teachings with which we agree, the challenge comes in distinguishing true authentic spiritual understandings separate from any other understanding. As I was completing my review of the chapters, a question came to mind… how does one distinguish intuitional thinking apart from the results of indoctrinated thinking? It would seem an indoctrinated thought would likely feel as intuitive as an authentically intuited thought. Where one is told or encouraged what to “intuit”, how is authentic spiritual understanding/enlightenment established by comparison to historically religious indoctrination? Those would be western religious leaders/followers sincerely consider themselves “saved” which would seem to be the western religious equivalent to spiritual enlightenment which is say that personal conviction is no accurate measure of salvation/enlightenment. It would seem that the only safeguard against indoctrination is pursuing one’s spiritual cultivation by one’s self, absent any other immediate and direct influence. Most of the spiritual understandings I have reached have come through my own contemplation, meditation, and reflection. Those understandings I trust completely because I know they came to me when I was ready to receive them and not a moment sooner. And because of that, I know that those understandings are part of my being… part of my transition. Those understandings that I am encourage or influenced to take on in part through some direct and immediate engagement don’t feel as though they are a part of my being in the same way as those understandings I truly intuit.

I hope you understand. I just know that most everything we think we believe know comes as a result of someone imparting their “understanding” true or false, accurate or inaccurate on us. I believe that is a large part of what’s wrong is this society.

Greetings,

First let me say that words can’t describe the appreciation I have for the initiative you took 3-4 months ago in asking to study some of the basics of the spiritual philosophy and religion that I practice. Because of what you did, Asr’s Rennenet, Djehuti and I have had the opportunity to engage in the study of the book Egyptian Yoga. Although I read this book more than 15 years ago at least three times, it seems like this is the first time for me. I am excited every week preparing for the group and just as excited when the group meets. It is disappointing that you have chosen to discontinue participating. You will be missed as your reflections and insights were a positive energy for all of us. But you have to do what’s in your best spiritual evolutionary interest and we support you. For being the impetus for getting the group started I say Dua/Thank You!

With that said I’ll now begin my response to your concerns expressed above that led you to the decision to discontinue participating with us. I was surprised by the abrupt and sudden nature of your decision. I guess this was the reason why you had started to miss class more frequently recently. It told me that whatever drove the feeling giving rise to the decision was/is quite strong. This must be the case as I thought any question or concern you may have had you could have just asked about. Additionally, you know that I wouldn’t try to convince you to continue studying the teachings. They are for those who choose this path for their spiritual evolution. Although they are open to all and will benefit all who use them, they are not the path for all at this time. With that said I respect your decision. Below are my thoughts about what you shared and the underlying points that I took away from it.

I am at risk of accepting understandings which I am not sure I subscribe completely.

What understandings are you unsure about accepting that you don’t subscribe to completely? Do you “feel” like this study or any study of anything other than what “you” do on your own is not an authentic path?

Authentic Spiritual Understandings

the challenge comes in distinguishing true authentic spiritual understandings separate from any other understanding

I’m not sure of what “true authentic” or inauthentic spiritual understandings are. I’m also not sure how they differ from understanding of anything else. Understanding to me is understanding no matter “what” one understands.
If a person believes that he/she is something other than, more than their body, mind, ego, gender, ethnicity, nationality or thoughts, then it behooves that person to seek understanding of what “that something more” is.
If a person has a different belief, then he/she should seek understanding of what that belief is.
Labeling understanding as authentic or inauthentic doesn’t lead to understanding. It stops it even if a chosen path can lead to it.
I am aware of what “authentic spiritual teachings/religions are. Authentic spiritual/religious teachings are composed of three parts. They are myth, ritual and mysticism. The last one, mysticism is the most important for purposes of this discussion because it is through the mysticism that spirituality/spirit is found. Authentic spiritual teachings contain all three components. Hence any tradition which has all three would be an authentic tradition. Therefore, Shetaut Neter isn’t the only authentic spiritual teaching. Buddhism for example is an authentic teaching because it has the three-fold practice while Christianity, Islam and Judiasim aren’t because none of them have a mystical component (In these traditions spirit exists but isn’t experienced until one dies and only exists in people).
It stands to reason then that authentic spiritual understandings would come from the study and practice of authentic spiritual teachings. Outside of this framework again I’m not sure of what you mean by what an authentic spiritual understanding is.

Intuitional Thinking vs Indoctrinated Thinking
how does one distinguish intuitional thinking apart from the results of indoctrinated thinking? Where one is told or encouraged what to “intuit”, how is authentic spiritual understanding/enlightenment established by comparison to historically religious indoctrination?

Where do “intuitional thoughts” come from? Do they have a genesis? We know that the intuition of one person differs from others so what accounts for these differences?
Few give thought to inquiring about the origin/genesis of intuition. Even fewer give thought to whether this can be discovered or think about it in this way. It wasn’t until I started studying the teachings that I figured out the answer. My understanding from the teachings is that intuition “does” have a genesis and that intuition develops through the experiences and learning one gets in the earlier part of one’s present life and in one’s previous lifetime/s. Intuition then is a manifestation of the conglomeration of experiences and learning that influence a person to act or not act in certain ways at different times in their lives. The manifestation usually expresses itself as a gut feeling. Experiences from the present also add to the collective of experiences that create one’s intuition. Conscious or unconscious engagement in an activity can also be called indoctrination. Therefore, indoctrination be it through conscious or unconscious experiences or learning is the genesis of intuition.
While it seems that you take issue with the encouragement of “what to intuit,” this encouragement is premised on the understanding of what the intuitional process is as described above and below. If you disagree with what the genesis of intuition is as described herein then it’s understandable you would have an issue with this.
Every interaction with “everything” is an experience that indoctrinates the psyche of the person. Hence everything one reads, listens to, participates in or refrains from is an indoctrination. This is because everything one does leaves an impression” in the unconscious mind that we call “ari.” The accumulation of these impressions impels or compels behavior in the future once triggered. The accumulation of these impressions gives rise to the “gut feeling” that people talk about. It is this process which gives rise to the term garbage in garbage out because a person’s gut feeling is only as good as the impressions lodged in the unconscious mind.
Many aren’t aware that this is how one’s intuition develops, its genesis. So everyday people through their actions create and/or refine their intuition. But for people not seeking knowledge of Self they have no idea what’s happening and they indoctrinate themselves with info that binds them to the world.
But the spiritual seeker (one who studies and practices a mystical tradition) understands the workings of the body, mind, spirit, complex. Because of this the spiritual seeker “consciously” chooses what he/she will feed their mind, by consciously choosing the information and experiences he/she will engage with/in. Information and experiences/indoctrination that lead him/her to the abiding “Spiritual” reality. For the spiritual seeker this is a liberating process.
Really the direction on choosing what to fill the unconscious mind with in a conscious manner opens the way to Gnosis of this reality the subject of Chapter 6. Consciously choosing the experiences one will have really is a purification process that eradicates impressions that contradict the Spiritual ONENESS reality of ALL. The absolute reality that most people can’t see. So again, from the teachings this is not a bad thing.
Finally, as it relates to historical religious indoctrination consider what historical religions promotes to its adherents. One is a born sinner. One can’t save him/herself an intermediary is required. God has preferences and prefers certain people and groups over others. God spites his enemies etc.
Are you comparing these indoctrinated beliefs of western societal religions with the indoctrinated beliefs one gets from authentic mystical spiritual practices?

Are The Subjective Salvation Beliefs of Christianity & Islam Equivalent to the Subjective Beliefs of Neterianism

Those would be western religious leaders/followers sincerely consider themselves “saved” which would seem to be the western religious equivalent to spiritual enlightenment which is say that personal conviction is no accurate measure of salvation/enlightenment

Subjectively speaking who doesn’t think that what they believe is true? Who doesn’t think this? This transcends religion and its practices. The difference is that some people whose intellect has atrophied are unable to change their mind and act in accordance with new information that comes and facts that should lead to different/evolved understanding. Others, often spiritual seekers have open minds and are able to do so.
As it relates to religion, one can focus on the similarity of people in different religions all thinking their teaching is the right one if one chooses to. But this perspective misses the mark because again, everyone believes what they believe is true. Frankly comparing oneself or beliefs to others only creates confusion in the mind. As everyone is at a different level of spiritual awakening/evolution whatever path he/she chooses “is” the best for that person at that time.
People choose a religious practice based on their ideas about what life is and its purpose. Those who choose mystical traditions are people who are seeking the answers to the age-old questions of Who am I? Why am I here? What is the purpose of life and what is my purpose? Mystical traditions provide a “way of living life” that leads to the answers to these questions. It is an active process and through its practices leads to a psychological transformation from mortal consciousness to spiritual consciousness.
Personal conviction on whether one’s experience is salvation compared to people of other traditions is not a fruitful exercise. It causes agitation in the mind and doesn’t help as an agitated mind never helps the spiritual seeker and it doesn’t matter.
A person will evolve to the knowledge of Self no matter what. Again, the question is does one want to evolve thru the world of hard knocks, many incarnations or thru a mystical tradition, this lifetime.

Obtaining Spiritual Knowledge thru Self Contemplation, Reflection and Meditation

It would seem that the only safeguard against indoctrination is pursuing one’s spiritual cultivation by one’s self, absent any other immediate and direct influence. Most of the spiritual understandings I have reached have come through my own contemplation, meditation, and reflection. Those understandings I trust completely because I know they came to me when I was ready to receive them and not a moment sooner. And because of that, I know that those understandings are part of my being… part of my transition. Those understandings that I am encourage or influenced to take on in part through some direct and immediate engagement don’t feel as though they are a part of my being in the same way as those understandings I truly intuit.

First, like mentioned above no one can be safeguarded from indoctrination as every action done by a person is both an indoctrination and the result of being indoctrinated. Indoctrination is the fabric of human life. What we can do is take control over the indoctrination process in a conscious way.
Second, obtaining spiritual knowledge by yourself as you have chosen to do is fine. As all are manifestations of ONE ESSENCE it’s just a matter of time before all caught up in the illusion of Creation awaken to this ONENESS. All people will realize this at some point. As we’ve discussed before the issue isn’t whether or not all will reach that destination it’s a matter of when. Each person chooses the manner of how they will do so. If doing your spiritual studies on your own is better for you then that’s what you should do. Keep in mind though that any spiritual realization you get on your own is just as subjective as the Christian who thinks he is saved that you mentioned above when comparing them to followers of Neterianism thinking they’re enlightened. Just because you might feel better about it won’t make the realization less subjective.
And finally on this thread keep in mind that anything you intuit on your own is a mixture of information and experiences of yours in this lifetime and previous others some of which you consciously chose to have and most which you didn’t.
(It seems like you are so against what the western world religions produce in its followers that you are bringing your bias against them over to other spiritual traditions even when the precepts of their belief systems are totally different and may be in accordance with what you believe to be true)

I just know that most everything we think we believe know comes as a result of someone imparting their “understanding” true or false, accurate or inaccurate on us. I believe that is a large part of what’s wrong is this society.

The statement is interesting. What’s wrong with this and why is it a bad thing? Who doesn’t require being taught something in order to do it? Isn’t that why we have schools and places of learning? While all have the ability to teach themselves anything, the amount of time to do this could be quite long. The problem doesn’t seem to be that people impart their understanding on others. The problem is that many people make poor choices about who they receive the importation of knowledge from. Often times people allow themselves to be directed/influenced by those who don’t have their best interest at heart.
During the glory days of Ancient Africa and Kmt specifically, the Priests and Priestesses imparted their understanding of “all” aspects of life from education, science, math, astronomy, agriculture etc to the entire nation. Would anyone argue that this was a bad thing? Ancient Kmt was in its highest state for 25k years when knowledge imparted by its clergy was the knowledge followed by all. It was only after the nation chose to receive info imparted from others outside the clergy that the nation fell. The clergy was made up of people with enlightened consciousness.
Today people choose to accept information from those with no moral compass. While following those with no moral compass produces a degraded society, the problem isn’t the importation of knowledge as no one has to follow degraded personality types. That’s their choice.

Conclusion
I’ve read the reasons why you have chosen to discontinue participation in the group several times. Based on what you shared discontinuation with the group seems a bit drastic to me. Since I have known you, you have not ever been one to be influenced by anything that was not congruent with the foundational principles of your moral and intellectual compass. I have known since we met that internally the teachings of Shetaut Ntr resonate with the frequency of your being. Apparently I was mistaken.
But you’ve made your choice and I support you in that choice. And while you are more comfortable with making your spiritual walk alone as you trust what comes to you on its own don’t forget that everyday you read articles that you vibe with (written by people imparting knowledge/understanding) and listen to lectures or videos ( imparting again) know that by engagement in this way you are indoctrinating yourself no differently than what the teachings suggest.
There is no quarrel with one who consciously chooses to direct the spiritual evolution of their being in the manner they deem best.
You are welcome to continue with us if you change your mind. See you at lunch on Sunday!

Htp

Asr Anpu Waset

“Never forget: the words are not the reality, only reality is reality; picture symbols’ are the idea, words are confusion.”