Reply To: Level 1 Audio Discussion Forum #2

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Egyptian Mysteries Level 1 Level 1 Audio Discussion Forum #2 Reply To: Level 1 Audio Discussion Forum #2

Shems Ahit Nebthet
Participant

Audio – How to conduct Self as an initiate in the Temple
This lecture went over details related to how an initiate ought to carry themselves when in the presence of their preceptor and in the temple. These were a few reflections I had on them.
1. Wash self before coming into the temple itself – later developed into baptism in the Christian church. This was very interesting to learn about as baptism usually takes place once in a person’s life, but this seems to have happened each and every time one entered into the temple. Also, even though this may have been a physical doing to ensure that one showers before going into the temple, after reflecting on it, it seems to have significant symbolism of purifying one’s body (from any actions, negative energy/vibrations) before entering the temple, hence also being a meditative practice. This was something Ab Setna also taught in class related to before going to ones alter, even though I would always shower before going into worship, after reflecting on this being more than a mundane act, I notice how showering before doing my shedy would actually prepare my mind for the moment, it’s like the water washes away the physical impurities from the day to day abouts, sweating etc, but also mental agitation so that when I approach my alter there is also a sense of calmness that has been established in my body and mind. I can also recall the ritual we did with SD at the Temple of Asar in Kemet and the mental process I can remember, I did so some letting go/washing away of negative forces from my mind (just mental agitation related to the wonders of what I was observing to just focus on the Divine and the teaching that were being delivered before entering into the temple. So, I find great significance in this ritual related to the washing of the body and cleansing of the mind before entering the Temple/Sacred space considering how it prepares one for receiving the teachings.
2. Another point that was brought out were the postures and how to sit when in the Temple/in ones Sacred Space; this stood out to me because as I read and listened to this all I could think of was how this is a way of showing reverence to the Divine and Preceptors delivering the teachings and of course remaining alert and not sluggish during such a valuable moment in time. As reference was made to the Djed Pillar – which has significant philosophy associated with it, being upright in one’s movement rather than sluggish which leads to a more horizontal movement and this resembles being dead, the opposite of what one would want to be when in the Temple or one’s Sacred Space.
3. Prostrating before the shrine – this action I find to be very humbling especially for me to engage in each day. Considering my many hats and the roles I play at work and even within my family, its important and necessary for me to be humbled as I am still in the flesh for a reason no matter how many great things I may do for others, I am still in the flesh and subject to Set trying to gain access to the throne. I am reminded as a Shems to remain humble always requiring the support of the Neteru to keep me in check. So, before I unveil my alter and behold the glory of the Divine who I need to help me each and every day.
4. Related to conflict, I pray that I will never experience such a thing within the Temple as I am one who has learned to turn away from conflict as I have been matriculating through my journey of life on this path. One thing that stood out was as an initiate, I must be first and foremost ready to forgive and understand as this will prevent me from harboring resentment in my heart for another person. Never take anything to heart as everything has a reason why it manifests in one’s life, it is for one’s spiritual growth and evolution. As I have been studying myself, as I reflect on this point, I reflected on how I ought to apply this, so I went back to observing how I used to respond to feeling as though I was wrong by someone, thoughts would constantly flow up and I would watch them and say, look at that stop it Rebecca, you were doing too much, this is where being ready to forgive needs to be applied. Even though I am not actually being combative with the person, I need not be combative in my mind either. So to help me further with this practice, I find that it will be necessary for me to have something else to do when I observe negative thoughts rising; I use my hekau, “I am not the body,” and “Om Amun Ra Ptah” over and over to help me let go of past impression that were causing such thoughts to rise and over time, I have found that its much easier to be in this body of being ready to forgive because I have less and less triggers that someone can trigger and if I am triggered, I am also beginning to take a step back and check it, see it as ariu, let go of dislike, like and let what is just be; see everything as an opportunity for spiritual evolution and growth (in this case being able to tap into my watchful self and of course cleansing of ariu rather than making it linger and no longer being stuck and having a heart full of negativity or be a reactive/heated personality.

Furthermore, I can appreciate our Preceptors teaching us these subtle rules which has such major significant to ensure that we are prepared to receive and understand the teachings when coming into their presence. One’s mind and body have to be cleansed and in the right order/under the correct form of discipline/control. This is not just what they want from us, but this was embedded within the Kemetic Religious Culture. So, it is important that if I am going to follow this path, I must learn everything within the culture as well so that I may have success in growth and evolution. Not just the wearing of certain type garments but most of all how to prepare myself for the wisdom and how to maintain myself while receiving the wisdom teaching.

Dua M HTp.