Reply To: Level 1 Book Reading Assignment Discussions Forum #2

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Egyptian Mysteries Level 1 Level 1 Book Reading Assignment Discussions Forum #2 Reply To: Level 1 Book Reading Assignment Discussions Forum #2

DjedefHor Anpu
Participant

Less than 25 reading discussion Pages 169-178

The main theme of this discussion was how to overcome failure on the spiritual path. The discussion gave three ways to overcome failure on the spiritual path. The first way was repeated effort. This means I must be diligent in the practice of the teachings. Personally, I must study every day. I must have a devotion three times a day or as many times as my work schedule will allow. I have been consistent with my reading and practice the chants on a daily basis.

As part of repeated effort, the book also discussed becoming less entangled with worldly responsibilities. This is and continued effort for me. I now realize how important it is to not be entangled with worldly things. Worldly things consume so much of our time and effort. This pursuit of worldly things takes away from the time and effort I could be giving to spiritual things. Therefore, I am on a path to become debt-free and live within my means.

The second way to overcome failure on the spiritual path is dispassion. According to the reading, dispassion is becoming free from delusion about the world and desire and hatred which clouds the intellect. After careful review of this section of the reading, I understand dispassion to work two ways. Where the world is concerned, one must practice dispassion. That is, a person must become emotionally detached from the world when they realize egoistic desires through worldly pleasures will only lead to frustration. However, an aspirant must not have dispassion when it comes to spiritual things. One must be passionate about the path to seek the Divine. Passion will lead one to seek what they are passionate about.

The third way an aspirant can overcome failure on the spiritual path is devotion to God. Devotion allows the teaching to be felt. I liken this to being in love with someone. When I first met my wife, we spent hours and hours on the phone and in each others company. I wanted to know everything about her and she felt the same way about me. We were falling in love with one another. This is how I feel about the Divine. I want to know everything about the Universal Soul, the Neberjer. Because, in doing so I would learn about myself.