Reply To: Kemet 101-Lesson 6 Discussion Forum

LaurelStuart
Participant

A
VIDEO 1
One of the main principles of African religion is that God and the universe are one. Divinity and creation are one, therefore nature and everything is sacred. There is a supreme being (God) and lesser beings. This is not idol worship. Lesser beings (Gods and Goddesses) are manifestations of the one supreme being. All religions when practiced fully brings us to experience our divinity.
When religion is complete it includes myth, ritual and mysticism. Mysticism is the movement through which a human being transcends their mortal limited experience and experiences a oneness with the divine. In Orthodox religion only myth and ritual are practiced. Christianity in the West is a form of Orthodox religion, so are the dominant sects of Judaism and Islam today. Sufism is an Islamic religious sect that includes mysticism. Kabbalism is a sect of Judaism that includes mysticism as well. In the early days of Christianity there were three main sects: The Roman Catholic Church, the Byzantine Church and the Coptic Church. Each of these churches had its own head or pope. The Roman Catholic Church wanted supremacy, consequently during Roman dominion they tried to stamp out the other sects. When Egyptian Christians (who practiced mysticism) knew that the Roman Christians were coming to destroy their sect and its knowledge, they hid their gospels by burying them. These gospels were found in the late 1940’s. They are known as the Gnostic Gospels and they include mystical teachings.
Myths contain transcendental truths. There are 3 main types of myths: creation myths, heroic myths and myths that teach us moral ethics. Creation myths allow us to understand our place in creation and teach us that we are here to express our divinity. Humans are potentially the highest and lowest forms of divine manifestation. Heroic myths teach us how to grow spiritually. Myths often tell us we are on a journey and if we act righteously, we can become virtuous. Many myths also include parables and proverbs that teach virtue is obtained by right action.
Myths allow us to put the pieces of our lives together. A myth can be considered a metaphor. Myths are not just for the ancients but include transcendental truths important for our past, present and future. Rituals are the keys to understanding the higher meanings of myths. Rituals purify us and reinforce our knowledge of divinity. When we turn away from myths, rituals and mysticism we become secular. Secular views can insulate a person from higher truths. To be secular is to be alone in this world. Secular fulfillments (having money, power, fame etc.) will never satisfy human beings because we are transcendental. Atheists have higher rates of insanity that religious persons. “If we are separate from the world we are constantly running after the world.”

VIDEO 2
RITUALS
-Lighting incense: the fragrance of the incense is an offering to the divine. It is symbolic of our personality being burnt away via righteousness, virtue and truth.
-Pouring libation: water is poured down a slab in a continuous manner. The water flows from two directions and meets in the middle, symbolizing the process of unity from duality. The continuous pouring of the water symbolizes the necessity for continuous mental thought in the direction in the of divine.
-Food is offered to the divine, hekau (words) are offered to the divine. Hekau or chants are words of power that transform our minds and our personalities. Overtime hekau causes the individual to be true of speech. Hekau is normally offered four times to the four directions. If one side is missed, that side is unprotected, and a problem can enter the ritual via that unprotected side.
She taut Neter stands for hidden divinity. Most people in the world are searching for happiness. Seeking happiness in the physical world is an illusion because everything in the physical world is impermanent and therefore illusionary. As spiritual aspirants we need to take care of our practical reality (job, family, house etc.) but should not focus our lives on the pursuit of worldly things. There are spiritual forces that prevent some people from entering kemetic training. Some people that desire to know more about spirituality are older, mature and are looking for deeper spirituality. Some are searching for spirituality but are not very mature, so when it is time to grow their childishness emerges. Some are only interested in knowing spirituality for cosmetic purposes.
The Kemetic temples have 3 separate sections. The first section is for mortals desiring to aspire. Here initial teachings are received. The second section of the temple, represented by a door, is where initiates receive high philosophy. The third section is for those considered illuminated.

The four teachings that encapsulate the entire Kemetic philosophy are-
1. Pa Neter ua ua Neberdjer m Neteru
This is the one divinity behind all creation. The Neter the supreme being is one and alone as Neberdjer manifests everywhere and in all things.
2. An- Maat swy Saui Set s-Khemn
Lack of righteousness brings fetters to the personality and these fetters lead to ignorance of the divine. In the creation story humans lived for thousands of years on earth without any limitations. Without limitations we became arrogant, so the God Ra gave us watery encasements to give us limitations. Ra’s daughter Maat however was sent to teach us the path of enlightenment, to free us from our watery encasements. Fetters are vices- anger, hatred, greed, lust, jealousy, and envy. Set is the God of the ego personality.
3. S-Uashu s-Nafu n saiu Set
Worship of the divine frees us from the fetters of Set. Uashu means worship of the divine, Nafu means freedom or the ability to breathe.
4. Ari Shedy Rekh Ab m Maakheru
The practice of the disciplines leads to knowing oneself and the Divine. There are 4 shedy disciplines- listening to the wisdom teachings, devotion to the divine, Maat and Meditation. Without meditation we cannot reach the higher levels in the temple.

There are 3 basic realms of existence
1. The physical realm
2. The astral realm- this is the realm where we can communicate with the Gods/ Goddesses. We experience this plane when sleeping or having a waking vision.
3. Causal plane: this plane is the ‘seed’ that causes the rest of our existence to become. This level does not exist in space or time. Those who attain this level of being can see our oneness with creation.

B
Understanding at a deeper level that God and all of creation are one. This knowledge helps me to control my emotions when I feel that others have wronged me. I have been without religion for most of my life, yet I believed in God. Somewhere in this lesson came the profound knowledge that I was lost for so long; and now I am on my path to home. The ancients did not forget us. Perhaps they knew the world would fall into the dark ages and we would forget them, but they never truly left us, leaving their teachings for us to find. This touches me very deeply.

C

1. At what time period were there the three Christian churches? Is that maybe around 100 BC? Why would there be Egyptian Christians? Why was kemetic religion not enough for them that they would become Christian?
2. What is the importance of offering food to the Gods?
3. Was the concept of darkness in Ancient Egyptian only considered ignorance? I heard once an understanding of darkness giving life in Ancient Egypt, because the undulations of the river Nile allowed Egyptians to plant food. Is that true?