Reply To: Kemet 101-Lesson 5 Discussion Forum

Participant

A

In the videos of Lesson 5 Dr. Ashby shows us how Kemetic religion influenced Islam, Judaism, Christianity and Hinduism as well as the cultures in Ancient Europe, Asia minor and South Central Asia.

VIDEO 1
In Video 1 we learn that at least two Kemetic kings extended the borders of Egypt into Asia. These two kings were Asar and Senusert. Ancient Egyptian culture and religion influenced European religion and culture. In Ancient Egyptian Religion there are 6 main traditions.
– The tradition of Anu
– The tradition of Shetaut Netrit
– The tradition of Meneter
– The tradition of Amun
– The tradition of Aton
Neterianism teaches us that the 4 great Kemetic truths awaken us to our God like selves. The great truths are realized by 4 spiritual disciplines in 3 steps
– Listening to wisdom teaching (sekhem shedy)
– Righteous Action ( Ari Maat Shedy)
– Devotion to the divine (Ushet Shedy)
– Meditation to experience the truth (Uaa Shedy)
True and glorious deeds lead to purity of the personality and spiritual enlightenment (Arit Aakhu). True rituals affirm the higher reality and glory of the Divine (Maat Aru). When we do service to others we do service to God. Meditation involves
– Meditating upon the experience of the divine (Uaa m Neter)
– Meditating on the subtle life force (Arat Sekhem)
– Meditating on righteous action (Ari Sma Maat)
– Meditating on the I am (Nuk Pu Ushet)
– Meditating on the glorious light (Nuk Ra Akhu)
– Meditating on the wisdom teachings (Rekh Maa)

Neterianism was co-opted by the Europeans. Early European civilization can be divided into certain periods- the Minoan Culture(3000 to 1400 BCE), the Pre-classical Greek Culture(1800- 1400 BCE) Classical Greek Culture (600-300 BCE) and then Roman Culture. Minoan culture developed mostly on the island of Crete and flourished until a major volcanic eruption around 1400 BC. Alexander the Great and his father Philip of Macedonia spread Greek culture into Asia, North eastern Africa and South Eastern Europe. The changes ancient Greeks made to ancient Egyptian culture damaged both the culture and its understandings. In the Roman period Christianity flourished. Greek Gods were co-opted Egyptian Gods, for example the Greek God Apollo was the Egyptian God Ra and the Greek Goddess Sophia was the Egyptian Goddess Aset.

VIDEO 2
The 2nd video examines in more detail the Kemetic origins of Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism and Islam. Kemetic religion extends beyond 10,000 BCE. Pre-Judaic religion existed around 1000 BCE. The idea of one God was a Zoroastrian concept. The origins of Zoroastrianism date back to around 6th Century BCE. Before Zoroastrianism both Judaism and Islam recognized many gods. Pre-Islamic, pre- Judaic and pre-Christian religions began in Mesopotamia and date back to 4000/3000 BCE. Hinduism is the term used to describe the different religions of India, hinduism also dates back to around 4000/3000 BCE. Around 600 BCE the Sage Mohammed preached there was only one God- Allah. Islam starts around this time. Bahaism and Sikhism are modern religions based on Islam- these two religions are more harmonious than Islam with other cultures and religions. Present day Israel is the home of Bahaism. Present day Kashmir is the home of Sikhism. Christianity began around 0 AD with the advent of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
Christianity and Islam teach their followers that nonbelievers are the enemy. This is the major reason why Christians and Muslims can not get along. We must use our righteous consciousness to decide what is right for us. Religion MUST work for us, otherwise we serve the needs, desires and designs of others.
The 10 Commandments of the Jewish and Christian religions have their origins in the teachings of Maat. The Jews and Muslims accept the old testament but not the new. Arab culture should not be mistaken for Islam. Hebrew culture should not be mistaken for Judaism. The Kemetic sundisk, the sphinx and the ankh can all be found in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

VIDEOS 3 & 4
These videos look at the African origins of Hinduism and South-Central Asian culture. King Senusert of the New Kingdom is credited with having conquered all of Mesopotamia and India. Queen Hapsheput, also of the New Kingdom is believed to have traded with India. These are examples of evidence of contact. Some Hindus claim the river Nile, the Mountains of the Moon (particularly in Uganda and Congo) and Mount Meru (In Tanzania) are the mythical dwelling places of the Gods and consequently are sacred to them.
In cultural anthropology evidence of contact, form (visual evidence) and function are particularly important in ascertaining whether different cultures have shared cultural expressions. The Hindu God Shiva is depicted with serpents and a sundisk, similar to the Kemetic God Ra. The swastika sign famous in Germany was seen on the feet of the Hindu God Vishnu and the Kemetic God Asar long before it usage in Hitler’s Germany.
The religious books of India include the Vedas (1500- 1000 BCE), the Brahmanas (around 800 BCE), and the Upanishads or Vedantas. Buddhism came into existence arguably around 600 BCE. Tantrism and shakti-ism occurred around 800 AD. These two religions elevated womanhood particularly after the works of the Sage Manu who wrote around 200 BCE women should be denigrated and dark skinned peoples should be shunned. Yoga in the Vedas means to yoke as a horse to a carriage while in the Upanishads its takes on a deeper significance similar to Sema or Smai in Neterianism. This suggests a lack of continuity between the vedas and the vedantas. The Hatha Yoga Pradipika, where we find images of yoga postures only came into existence in the last 500- 700 years.
The creation stories in Kemet and India are almost the same. The male divinity in India is represented by the earth, while the female divinity is represented by the sky. In both Indology and Egyptology there are two branches, a Western Branch and an Indian (in the case of Indology) and an Afrocentric (in the case of Egyptology) branch. These branches differ in their interpretation of historical evidence.

B

What was most important for me in this lesson was learning all of this history. Knowledge of history helped me in the past free my mind from the strong hold of racist beliefs. The history I learnt in the videos presented in this lesson has created within me a new respect for other cultures and religious groups, particularly the culture and religion of Ancient Egypt. I often deal with Christians who ponder if yoga and acupuncture are some-what related to devil worship because they are not rooted in Christianity. I think to myself- would they think this way if they had any understanding of world history and the history of the African before slavery? I want to study history in more detail. I think it is very important, as it helps me explain to my loved ones my interest in Neterianism. It is also extremely interesting to me.

C

1. What are the 3 steps to understanding the 4 spiritual disciplines?
2. you answered another post with the statement “one provides soul and energy (during creation) while the other provides a vessel for the soul and the venue for manifesting the creative force of the spirit. Is the former the male divinity and the latter the female divinity? We normally say Mother Earth. I am a bit confused because in Hindu divinity the male is the earth and the female is the sky. Was this understanding of the earth and sky an ancient Egyptian concept?
3. Is it accurate to say that throughout history hatred has been directed towards dark-skinned peoples ( for example in the Iate Indian Caste System and in current world affairs) solely in an effort to control resources?
4. Why in the slides of Video 1 ( the slide with the Egyptians and Nubians) the Nubians were portrayed as much shorter than the Egyptians?
5. This statement is very interesting to me- ‘when human beings enter into relationships for mutual pleasure, this is when relationships degrade. When human beings enter a relationship understanding that they are loving the divine in each other, this is when relationships become glorified and elevated? How do you love the divinity in some-one? Can a relationship last if one partner is loving the divine and the other is only interested in pleasure?