Reply To: Kemet 101-Lesson 2 Discussion Forum

LaurelStuart
Participant

A
Take notes on any important themes

“If one fights in the arena, forgetful of the past, success will elude him, who ignores what he should know”
Kemet in the time of Old Kingdom had a high culture and civilization. Spirituality was the central theme of all aspects of life, consequently priests and priestesses governed over the agricultural, political, social and spiritual aspects of life. An underlying awareness of spiritual consciousness was the foundation that allowed Kemetic civilization to persist for hundreds of years. The slow forgetting of ethics and morality, of righteousness and living in truth is the main factor behind the demise of the kemetic civilization.
Kemet’s downfall occurred progressively over the old, middle, new and late kingdoms. The decline of ancient Egyptian spirituality reached a climax when the temples were closed by Christians during the time of Emperor Constantine around 300 AD. Humanity entered a dark age at that time that continues to exist today. Christianity and Islam both seek to destroy all religions other than their own. This has created much evil and chaos in the world. Evil however can be a path to good. In Kemet it is written in the Prt Em Heru (Book of the Living/ Book of the Dead) that human beings have three needs that must be met if order is to exist. Those 3 needs are 1. food (for the body and mind), 2. shelter (a safe place we can call home) and 3. A boat (a boat in this case refers to opportunities to grow- travel- as a human being). Individuals also need to have internalized ethics. The elders of a society must be able to provide these three needs.

B
Which one was most important for me and why?
The understanding that true power comes from knowing our true selves, not from living in lies and unrighteous ways. I have had many conversations with individuals who argue that European cultures have done lots of bad things and they live well because of it. That they have more material possessions and its okay to live in unrighteous ways for superficial pleasures. I cant fully explain why it doesn’t sit well with my consciousness, but in seeing the downfall of a great civilization due to forgetfulness, how much more can the dominant culture in which we now live continue to exist, with all its greed and lust for power.

C
Questions
1. I read of Ramses the great in the New Kingdom having many wives; this is an example of greed. Can you please give me one or two examples of greed that occurred in the middle kingdom that did not occur in the old? What were specific acts of forgetfulness that occurred in each kingdom?
2. Did interaction with other cultures lead to forgetfulness in the middle kingdom? Why did forgetfulness not happen in the old kingdom?