Reply To: Integral Clergy of Ancient Egypt Studies course-Assignment-handling the heart and its related behaviors

KEMET UNIVERSITY HOME Forums Integral Clergy of Kemet Studies Program Integral Clergy of Ancient Egypt Studies course-Assignment-handling the heart and its related behaviors Reply To: Integral Clergy of Ancient Egypt Studies course-Assignment-handling the heart and its related behaviors

Un Shen
Participant

For this assignment, I selected 25, 29, and 37 as the precepts that are most consistent with my current sensibilities.

25 – a. An taa a
b. Not hot I
c. I have not allowed myself to be consumed with the fire of irritation, anger, fury or rage.

“The body becomes what the foods are, as the spirit becomes what the thoughts are.” – KMT Proverb

It is important to properly regulate the energy that one allows into their mind. For instance, it is highly improbable that one can consume low vibratory qualities such as irritation, anger, fury, or rage through entertainments (i.e., music, television, movies or other mass media), while also striving to live a life of peace and harmony. Entertainments that promote violence and other such low vibrations are junk foods and therefore toxic to ones mental peace and physical body. Growing up, I played with the other kids that lived in my neighborhood. However, I watched a considerable amount of television as well. Television was essentially a crutch that I used to “pass the time” and thus, keep my mind occupied, in an illusory state. I grew up in an inner city environment with parents that were supportive, yet distant in their capacity to show affection. Indeed, my parents loved to socialize with family and friends. My father and his siblings were heavy drinkers, which was a big influence on my brother, cousins and me. My brother, who is nearly ten years my senior, became a drug addict; however, my intoxicant of choice was liquor. Of note, the cliché, inner city violence and drugs seemingly were outside of my home. Nonetheless, it was very challenging growing up in my home due to the constant bombardment of theft, alcoholism, drugs, lying, stress-induced hollering and street violence. I was fed a constant diet of this dysfunction from K –12. Fortunately, my parents made music (and track) a key part of my childhood – to some extent pacifying some of the negative environmental effects.

The mind becomes what it is fed just like the body becomes what it is fed. Therefore, it is important to carefully screen what is allowed into to one’s mind. That said, the proper ‘food’ for my mind (e.g., Neterian philosophy), body (e.g., veganism) and soul (e.g., meditation) became an integral part of my lifestyle years ago. Indeed, the Kemetic proverb informs, “Searching for one’s self in the world is the pursuit of an illusion.” Hence, the ‘need’ to get caught up in the worldly, “illusionary energy” (Kemetic word “slime”) such as money, fame, etc. has waned over the years. I am humbled that I am following the path of love, peace and non-violence – rather than the world of irritability, anger, and rage, which plagued my immediate environment during my childhood, teenage and early adult years.

29 – a. An khennu a
b. Not stirring Set I
c. I have not stimulated, agitated, whipped up, roused or stirred up my ego such that it creates strife or turmoil in life.

“To destroy an undesirable rate of mental vibration, concentrate on the opposite vibration to the one to be suppressed.” – KMT Proverb

The teachings have allowed me to effectively address vices such as frustration, greed, negative actions and irrational thoughts. Of course, there are still areas of my personality that I continue to work on improving, which include positive communication skills for self and others; calm and stable demeanor; and cleansing of the ariu. Of note, I have recently begun to query, “How do I interact with the world regularly and not create self-debilitating, egoistic thoughts?” To this end, I have begun the practice of intercepting egoistic based thoughts and transforming those thoughts via positive self-affirmations based in Ma’at, which has engendered a more peaceful and harmonious state of mind. To this end, I am more mindful of my thoughts, demeanor and breath in the present moment. This approach of positive/affirmative self-talk has been an effective healing modality for me – and by extension, those in my immediate environment.

37 – a. An qa kheru a
b. Not haughty speaking I
c. I have not spoken with arrogance, conceit, puffed-up self-importance, air of superiority or with condescending attitude.

“Cultivating humility is a way to control your ego; the Ba cannot dwell in a mind full of itself.” –KMT Proverb

As a scientist, it has been a challenge to overcome the tendency to strive for success in the academic world without becoming egoistically attached. To some degree, superiority and condescension come with the territory of science. Fortunately, I have learned through the regular practice of the teachings that humility is one of the most important aspects of self to cultivate. For me, this is a work in progress. Nonetheless, the teachings have afforded me an opportunity to constantly practice right thinking (e.g., correct thoughts, contentment, meditative mind, mental purity). Indeed, this process of engendering correct thoughts has been facilitated by the daily practice of prayer; meditation; reading; reflecting on; listening to; and expression of the wisdom teachings.

HTP,
U. Un Shen